Last week when I showed you the large scale circle art, I mentioned that I was also working on a headboard for this room….
It’s finally done!
Since I was trying to keep this room kind of modern/industrial, my first idea was to use stacked cinder blocks as the headboard. After taking some measurements and doing a little math, I realized that it would have been crazy heavy. Also, I just can’t see my fat butt haulin’ that many cinder blocks up the stairs. So, my idea went from insanely heavy to super duper light.
This headboard is for a full sized bed, so I cut three feet off of the foamular, making it four feet tall and five feet long. I had planned on being all manly and using the compound miter saw all by myself, but as soon as I turned it on, I became Brick Tamland and couldn’t handle the loud noises.
So Hubs had the cutting job.
He cut the pipe into 3/4″ slices, marking and then cutting each one as he went. It took about two hours including his sandwich break.
I laid out the slices as Hubs cut, and when we got to nine rows, we decided that was enough. And the man needed a nap.
I scooped up all the slices and a couple sheets of 220 grit sandpaper, sat in front of the TV and sanded off any rough edges. Then I followed that up with a wet cloth wipe down. The PVC is super static-clingy, so after each one got a wipe down, it went into a new box to keep from getting little PVC bits on it. I took them out to the garage, laid them out and sprayed them with Rustoleum Gloss White.
I let them dry while I painted the foamular. I peeled off the plastic covering….
…and then painted it using the same paint that I used for my large scale circle art.
To glue on the circles, I picked up some PVC epoxy and, without reading the label, just went for it, gluing the slices to the board. After a couple rows, I went back to check and noticed that the epoxy was melting the foam. Shart.
I read the label, which clearly states that it is not for use on foam. Shart. Even though the epoxy was kind of melting the foam, it still had a really good bond going, so I didn’t start over. I covered the flubs with some paint dabs and headed back up to Home Depot and grabbed some Liquid Nails.
After placing the headboard behind the bed, I decided that I wanted to cut a little bit off of the bottom so that my Ombre Hombre would still fit above the bed without being hung too high. I cut off about a foot.
Since there is a chair rail on the wall behind the bed, I knew I couldn’t just nail this thing to the wall and have it be flush, the chair rail would make it all wonky. So, using liquid nails, I glued a 1″ x 2″ to the back of the foamular at the top and the bottom and let it set overnight.
I also added a pair of d-rings to the wood spacer for easy hanging.
The foamular was $13.65, the two PVC pipes were $25.44, the spray paint was $3.87 and the liquid nails was $2.78, so the total cost of this project was about $45 bucks. We have 5 ft of leftover pipe as well as leftover foamular.
If I had the project to do all over again, I would definitely use wood rather than foamular.
Can’t wait to get the rest of this room done!