I have a ton of old records. A ton. This is just a small sampling that I keep in my craft room for quick access.
Since I am in the middle of a budget craft room makeover, I thought I could use some of these around the room in a functional way. Old records are super cheap at thrift stores and garage sales and so fun to repurpose.
I dug through my stash and found a record that I wanted to use. Sorry Luciano.
My Grandmother would kill me. I used a heat gun for this project, but you can also do this in the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil, lay the record on the baking sheet and pop it in the oven under the broiler on low. It gets melty fast, like, real fast, so don’t walk away from it! Wear gloves!
This might also work using a hair dryer and some patience.
The middle part of records don’t melt as well as the rest of the record, so I try to avoid bending that part. I hit the record with the heat gun until it started to get melty.
If they get too hot too fast, they tend to bubble up, so go slow and keep an eye on it.
Once the record was soft enough, I put on my gloves and folded the record over my UNT Art History book and held it there until it cooled. My mom would be proud that I actually used this book for once.
Once dry and cool, I took the record outside and sprayed it with Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer and then followed that up with Rustoleum’s Lemongrass spray paint.
I thought it needed a label, so I opened up my Silhouette software and typed the word “stuff” in the font Bebas Neue, my new fav.
Awesome. A place to put my “stuff”.
I made another one to hold my “things”. I really hate it when I get my stuff and my things mixed up.
Since I have so many records, I decided to make one more thing. I bought a used calendar at a thrift shop a long time ago and have been saving it forever waiting for the perfect project. The colors on it matched the room perfectly, so this was a no brainer.
I tested the spray paint on a record before spraying my mailholder, so I decided to re-use that one for this project. I cut out my little calendar girl and grabbed piece of 12×12 chevron paper.
I sprayed the record with spray adhesive, put the paper on top, flipped ‘er over and trimmed around the record. Then I sprayed the calendar girl and added her to the paper and trimmed it up.
Done. This would be awesome done as a series and scattered all over a wall.